Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Holes

I heard a guy give some advice to a large group of young adults. He said before you even think of getting married deal with your hole. If you don't deal with your issues before you enter a relationship you will naturally look for your mate to fill that hole. When that person fails to fill that void the realationship "fails" and you move on looking for that next person to fill the hole. I can attest to that. My own unresolved issues aided in the chaos that led to my divorce.

I believe everyone is born with a hole, a void. Proper parenting and a healthy environment can nurture this void but abuse and abandonment deepens the hole. The deeper the hole the larger the panic to fill it.

That hole in your heart was not meant to be filled it was meant to be healed. You can dump dope, booze, a career, a relationship even religion into that hole but filling is temporary. Without proper healing that hole will grow.

My prayer is that as we reach out to the hurting that we don't look to just fill their holes with religion but to introduce them to the healing love of God. My goal is to help these young men to turn from what they once used to fill their holes and begin to truly heal.

No comments: